24-hour crisis line
If you are in immediate danger, call 911.

Protective Orders

For more information about CAPSA services, protective orders, and how we can help you, please call our 24-hour hotline at 435-753-2500.

What is a Protective Order?

A protective order (PO) is a document issued by the court to help protect you and your children from someone who is physically and/or sexually abusing you, or threatening to do so. It is NOT the same as a restraining order. You must be a "co-habitant" according to Utah law.

Who is a Co-Habitant?

  • A person related by blood or marriage OR
  • A person who is the parent of your child ro your unborn child
  • A person you live with or have lived with

In 2013, the Utah Legislature also approved dating partners who are age 18 or older to be able to file for a seperate Dative Protective Order. You can talk with a CAPSA caseworker about whether or not a Dating Protective Order would help increase your safety.

A Protective Order can help:

  • Set Limits. The document can require the person hurting or threatening you to stay away from you, your home, place of work, and/or homes of family members or relatives. It can also prevent him or her from directly or indirectly contacting you by phone, e-mail, text message, etc.
  • Send a Message. Getting a protective order is a big step, and can send a message that you will not tolerate abusive behavior.
  • Prevent Future Abuse. It can be a useful tool for ending current abuse and preventing abuse from happening in the future.

A Protective Order DOES NOT:

  • Determine permanent custody or visitation of children. However, it can provide instructions for temporary custody and visitation arrangements.
  • Settle property disputes. However, it can provide instructions for temporary possession of a residence, vehicle, and essential personal belongings.

How do I know if I qualify for a Protective Order?

CAPSA advocates and caseworkers can help you determine if you qualify for a protective order. Call CAPSA at 435-753-2500 to discuss your situation and learn about other resources and options available to help you.

How do I file a Protective Order?

First, you must fill out the protective order and explain why you fear for your safety. CAPSA caseworkers offer assistance filling out these documents; caseworkers are available from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.

After it is filled out, you need to take the protective order to the First District Court in Logan to file it. Since the protective order must be filed with the court, it has to be taken there during the hours that the court is open, which is generally between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. weekdays (excluding holidays). It cannot be filed in the evenings, at night, or on the weekends.

NOTE: A protective order signed by a judge in the state of Utah is enforceable in any state throughout the United States.

How much does it cost to file a Protective Order?

It does not cost anything to have a CAPSA caseworker or advocate help you fill out a PO.

There is no fee to file a protective order with the court, and no fee to have it served (delivered in person) to the respondent by the Sheriff's Department, if it is served within the state of Utah. For papers that need to be served outside of the state, the other state may charge a fee for the service.

For more information about CAPSA services, protective orders, and how we can help you, please call our 24-hour hotline at 435-753-2500.